Apr 12, 2021
Tina Smarch shares her son Jacob’s story in an effort
to erase the stigma of drug addiction. During this interview, Tina
tells us about Jacob who passed away at the age of 18 from a drug
overdose. Furthermore, Tina and her husband have turned their pain
into passion as they reach out to other families and parents who
are struggling. Also, Tina gets their message out through facebook account in Jacob’s name. These outreach
activities give Tina’s new life purpose. Finally, Jacob’s life
mattered. He wanted to be a counselor so helping others is Tina’s
way of enabling Jacob to counsel others.
- First, Emily and Tina talk about Tina's 35 year
- Then, Emily asks Tina to share Jacob's story.
- Jacob passed away in 2016 at the age of 18 from a
- He was the baby, the only boy, and the comedian of
- Around the age of 13 or 14, Jacob started smoking
- Jacob got into pills quickly after that.
- Tina reflects on Jacob's choices and wonders if
anxiety was one of the reasons he used drugs.
- Furthermore, there was so much Tina did not know
about drugs and she had to learn quickly.
- Shame is common among parents of children addicted
- The tough love route doesn't always work.
- Tina explains why she didn't reach out to friends
- Then, Emily asks Tina what she would recommend to
parents going through this right now.
- Tina talks about how she and her husband help other
families and children struggling with drug use issues.
- Finding the right support group is key.
- Tina's husband works from home and had to deal with
Jacob during the day.
- Also, it's important to trust your friends so they
can support you.
- Next, Tina talks about how Jacob's sisters handled
Jacob's drug use.
- Jacob passed away over Thanksgiving break.
- Tina talks about the last time she saw Jacob
- So many whys. Why us, why him, why now......
- Emily asks how Tina is turning her pain into
- Next Tina shares that Jacob wanted to be a
counselor and Tina does that for him.
- There is a Drug Epidemic Awareness Walk Across
America coming up soon.
- Tina talks about what she's done to get through the
pain of Jacob's death.
- She's written a book about Jacob and is seeking a
- Finally, Tina says she and her friends are thinking
about starting a podcast soon!