May 24, 2021
Martin Harshberger, a veteran executive and business
management consultant, says that developing sustainable growth
requires a combination of long-term thinking and conscious daily
effort. Furthermore, too often owners and executives spend most of
their time involved in the day-to-day activities of the business
and not enough time developing and executing a strategic business
development strategy. Consequently, Martin developed an in-depth
4-step framework to help CEOs bring together both business
development and strategy to create predictability and repeatability
in their organization.
- Martin Harshberger says many companies don't have a
- And if they do have a strategic plan, they put it
in a drawer and don't look at it.
- Martin talks about why change initiatives never
- Are strategic plans essential?
- Furthermore, the planning process is actually more
valuable than the strategic plan.
- Martin talks about the importance of frequent
- It's important that employees understand the
strategic plan and that their performance objectives are tied to
- Also, many times resources aren’t allocated for
with change management initiatives.
- Emily talks about how the shiny object
- Then, Martin says the primary purpose of the
strategy plan is to decide what not to do.
- Emily asks if budget drive strategy or if strategy
- In working with his clients, Martin talks about
repeatable business development instead of strategic plans.
- Also, company culture is critical.
- It's important to communicate the role each
employee plays in contributing to product development and
supporting the customer.
- In other words, they need to know that what they do
- Next, Emily asks Martin recommendations for
implementing change successfully.
- How does a leader get feedback from employees?
- Egos can get in the way of leadership.
- Next Emily talks about the unique challenges of
leadership in the federal government.
- Then Martin talks about why more company leaders
don't use consultants and coaches.
- Emily and Martin talk about the mindset it takes to
be an entrepreneur.
- Martin says he's starting a Mastermind of
- Listening is a key element of being a good
- Martin started hosting "breakfasts with the
- Next, Martin talks about the books he's
- Finally, leaders need to know themselves.