Jun 7, 2021
Former Harlem Globetrotter player and coach, Herb
“Flight Time” Lang is spreading his “Kindness is Free” message all
over the world. Furthermore, upon retiring from his eighteen-year
career as a Harlem Globetrotter, Herb plans to inspire through
public speaking, publishing, community outreach programs, as well
Herb is a loving, fair, passionate, and trustworthy
leader with so much to give back to people. Also, he truly believes
it’s important to treat others even better than you expect to be
treated. A little boy who grew up in the projects in Brinkley,
Arkansas became a Harlem Globetrotter with opportunities to
interact with governors, presidents, popes, and many other powerful
dignitaries around the world. As a Harlem Globetrotter, Herb’s
nickname was “Flight Time” and he invites you to take flight with
him on a journey through life and around the world.
- Herb “Flight Time” Lang starts off by spinning the
basketball for Emily.
- Then he talks about playing basketball in college,
what it took to be invited to the Harlem Globetrotters' training
camp, and how he was selected as a player.
- The Harlem Globetrotters' training camp is in
Arizona, not New York as one might think.
- Next, Emily points out how Herb has adapted to
change throughout his life.
- This interview was conducted on Inauguration Day
2021 and Herb talks about his desire for the country to come
- Herb talks about how he got the nick name "Flight
- Emily and Herb talk about who would win if they
played each other in a game of H.O.R.S.E.
- Herb had to learn how to be more outgoing once he
made the Globetrotter team.
- Emily asks Herb what he recommends to anyone
listening who wants to be a Globetrotter.
- Also, Herb reminds us not to give up on our
- Next Herb tells some awesome stories about meeting
meet the President of the United States and Pope Francis.
- After that, Herb talks about a time when he became
- Herb talks about his father's military
- After that, Herb gets goosebumps as he talks about
the times he traveled to military bases to perform in front of the
- Herb talks about being on the show, The Amazing
Race, three times.
- After that, Herb talks about an embarrassing moment
when Emily asked Herb what happened when he checked into his first
college basketball game.
- Towards the end of his time with the Globetrotters,
Herb was a player/coach.
- Herb then describes when he got the unexpected call
telling him that he was being let go from the Globetrotters after
- Then Herb shares how he reacted to that call,
initially, and upon some reflection.
- Next, he talks about how grateful he is to have
been a Globetrotter.
- Herb’s hashtag is Kindness is Free.
- Also, the more we give, the more we get back.
- Herb talks about his plans to host some basketball
retreats for children at his home.
- Next Herb talks about the book
Love Works and the importance
- Finally Herb talks about his great grandmother at
the request of a listener.